TELL ME A STORY

TELL ME A STORY
"Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation." Joel 1:3

Friday, February 3, 2012

WINDOWS

WINDOWS

Photos and Text Copyright 2012 Marcia Norwood


Today it's raining outside my window!

I'm thankful God watered the  bulbs and plants and trees. I watered the bamboo, boxwood and rosemary plants - inside  my kitchen window.

My Kitchen Window
Copyright 2012 Marcia Norwood

The bamboo plant was a gift from one of my husband's clients, (an elderly Chinese lady) when she learned we had two Chinese/American daughters.  I put the bamboo plant (roots and all) in one of our Chinese vases, and filled it with water...no soil needed.  

It's wonderful to have rosemary in the kitchen for cooking and fragrance.  We also add rosemary to our homemade soaps, potpourri and bath salts.  I gently rub my hand across the rosemary to release its scent into the room.  My hands smell wonderful, too!     

My daughter, Sarah, gave me the two tiny boxwood plants for Christmas. The boxwood would have been fine outside in our cold Midwest winters, but I decided they would winter in my sunny kitchen window. I'll find a place for them in one of our cottage gardens in the spring.     

Boxwood & Bamboo
Copyright 2012 Marcia Norwood
If I had to choose only one evergreen plant (God forbid!) for my garden - it would be boxwood.   I've planted boxwood gardens in every house we've owned,  including the little cottage we downsized to in 2004.  I've  planted almost 50 boxwood in our front and side gardens so far...with more to come! 

Boxwood Evergreens In Our Front Cottage Gardens
Copyright 2012 Marcia Norwood
"Any device in science
is a window on to nature,
and each new window
contributes to the
breadth of our view."


My Kitchen Window
Copyright 2012 Marcia Norwood

 


"Art is the window to man's soul.
Without it, he would never be able
to see beyond his immediate world;
nor could the world see the man within."
Claudia Johnson


There are other windows and other delights in our simple kitchen. 


Here's our new Bamboo Steamer, for making our girls' favorite Chinese dumplings.   We discovered the steamer, and these beautiful porcelian tea cups/mugs with diffusers at the Chinese Market in Kansas City, Missouri.


Monogram initial ceramic tiles... 


My favorite:  Oolong and White Peony Tea!


You'll find bunny shaped tea pots and Noah's ark-shaped teapots from our collections on top of our black cabinets.   I painted our oak cabinets first with white, green and then black, and finally sanded off paint until I got the distressed look I desired.


I moved one of the CD players and two speakers to the kitchen, so Martina McBride, The Beach Boys, Aretha Franklin, Chris Tomlin and Sara Groves could serenade us.


A copper tea pot perches in the pot rack above the sink...with a little birdie....a Christmas decoration that I just couldn't put away.

There's a stained-glass dragonfly in my kitchen window.  It was a gift from my husband, Ed, who can't seem to go shopping without bringing me back every dragonfly that he finds!


"Buy, buy, says the sign in the shop window;
Why, why, says the junk in the yard."
Paul McCartney



What's the view from your window?

Tell me about the simple delights in your kitchen!

Sign up to have my stories delivered to your inbox by adding your email address in the box in the top right of this blog that says: 
"Follow By Email."

"It seems to me that trying to live without friends
is like milking a bear
to get cream for your morning coffee.
It is a whole lot of trouble,
and then not worth much after you get it."
Zora Neale Hurston
Marcia
 Let's keep in touch!



No comments:

Post a Comment