TELL ME A STORY

TELL ME A STORY
"Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation." Joel 1:3

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

B U L L Y

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking



B U L L Y

Noun
1.  A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing 
2.  A hired ruffian; a thug


Adult bullying exists.

It would be great if people mature as they go through life, and STOP being bullies - but sadly, this is not always the case.  Adults can be bullies, just like teenagers and children.  

Adult bullies are probably not interested in working things out,  nor are they interested in compromise.  They try to dominate and humiliate others.  They feel important by bringing others down. 

Workplace bullying makes life miserable.  They create a hostile work environment, open the company to the risk of a law suit and reduce morale.  
  

View from my front porch
I   live between two bullies on a seemingly quiet cul-de-sac in the heart of America.  Both our bookend-nightmare neighbors are friends with each other, and have jointly declared war on our family.  
View of our front yard from our front porch

"We will make your life so miserable that you will move out," they said.  "You and your family are trash.  You plant too many flowers and trees.  You and your Chinese daughters need to go back where you came from.  This is America.

Dwarf Alberta Spruce and Boxwood line the sidewalk to our front door.
Dwarf Alberta Spruce and Bright Pink Knockout Roses

Dwarf Alberta Spruce, Yellow Knockout Roses, Boxwood


Their hostility toward us began when we had a our property surveyed.  Several feet of land (on both sides) that neighbors once claimed as their own - was actually ours.  Our boundary went right up to the edge of one neighbor's driveway.
 

They were furious, and escalated their attacks.  Verbal assaults against my children and me increased.  They cut down a tree in our yard, chopped off 1/3 of  one of my tall ornamental grass plants, threw cigarettes in my flower gardens, and ran over the little fences along the property line.  

One neighbor-from-hell  poisoned  a line of arborvitae along the fence line.  Every tree died.



I thought I knew how to handle bullies.  

After all, I've taught classes to adults and children on conflict resolution.


I realized after two years of  attacks, insults, and property damage that I needed help.  I kept a journal, and made the police file reports for each incident that broke the law.  We tried mediation through the police.  It accomplished nothing.    The police were not too concerned until one neighbor attempted to run over my daughter, Faith, and I with her SUV.  

We had our day in court. One neighbor was found guilty: assigned jail time, put on two years probation...then broke the rules of probation, and spent more time in jail. The probation was extended for another two years.


I'm not sure which is most alarming to me - the neighbors who are bullies, or the neighbors who - for the past five years - have ignored the reality of what my family has endured.   We have been called  troublemakers for calling the police.  It reminds me that all that has to happen for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing.

Thank God for the few neighbors who opened their eyes, and came to our defense.   

Gardening brings me much JOY.  It has also caused CONFLICT with my bookend-nightmare neighbors. They are Garden-Haters.

I'm a GARDENER, and I'm not going to stop anytime soon.  

My Chinese/American daughters and I will continue to bloom where we are planted.

After all, this is America



How long will you gang up on me? 
How long will you run with the bullies?
Psalm 62:3
The Message Bible

R E F U G E 

Noun

1.  Protection, shelter from danger or hardship
2.  A place providing protection or shelter
3.  A  source of help or comfort in times of trouble

Synonyms
security, safety, asylum, retreat, sanctuary, haven, stronghold


P O U R    O U T

Idiom  (Combination of words with a figurative meaning)

Express without restrain


BLUE & WHITE PITCHER:  Copyright 2009 Marcia Norwood


"Trust in Him at all times...
Pour out your heart before Him.
God is a refuge for us."

Psalms 62: 8-12


Tea Room in Blue Springs, Missouri



Thanks for stopping by!

Come again, and bring a friend!

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking


 

No comments:

Post a Comment