TELL ME A STORY

TELL ME A STORY
"Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation." Joel 1:3

Saturday, August 24, 2013

RECYCLE

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking

Link:  http://tellmeastory-marcia.blogspot.com/2013/08/recycle.html


R E C Y C L E 
Verb

1.  to alter or adapt for new use
2.  to reclaim for further use 
3.  to undergo reuse or renewal

Our son-in-law, Dave, (married to our daughter, Kristin) had  beautiful cedar boards left after building the decks on their new house.  I    reclaimed    lumber from the scrap pile to make square pumpkins with my preschool students. 

I cut the cedar scrap boards into squares of various sizes using a band saw and a scroll saw.  My father, Jewell Bush, was a carpenter.  He taught me how to use power tools.  If a woman can use a sewing machine - then she can learn how to use any tool in a workshop.

My preschool students had a blast working with lumber, sandpaper, hammers, nails, paint, pipe-cleaners, ribbons and beads.

 

  
Hammers in Preschool?!  Why not?!!!  I worked with one student at a time when they used the hammer.
 
A nail in the top of the cedar board became the pumpkin's stem.  Kids loved using sandpaper!

 
I  designed and cut a stencil for the facial features, and taught my students how to "stipple" with a stencil brush.

 

The addition of beads,  pipe-cleaners, and ribbon make each pumpkin unique.

 
Every year when I take out my square pumpkins to decorate - - I remember what a JOY it was to make them with my students.



It's  FUN  to  recycle and  reclaim things from the scrap pile!

Thanks for stopping by!

Come back often, and bring a friend!

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking


 




















 

No comments:

Post a Comment