TELL ME A STORY

TELL ME A STORY
"Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation." Joel 1:3

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

HOMEMADE VAPORIZING BATH/SHOWER PUCKS

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER

Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking


HOMEMADE VAPORIZING BATH/SHOWER PUCKS


My friend, Tammy, posted a photo and recipe on her facebook page for "DIY Vicks Shower Pucks."  

I'm not sure where the recipe originated, but it looked interesting. 

It's the cold season, and these vaporizing pucks should help us feel less stuffy when added to the bath or shower.

They are NOT edible!!!

I attempted to make them.

Here's what they are supposed to look like.



DIY Vicks Shower Pucks (Facebook Photo)


Gather Supplies:

  • Muffin Pan
  • Paper Cupcake Liners (10-12)
  • Measuring Cup
  • Vicks or Any Brand Vaporizing Medicated Ointment
  • Pan (For Stove top)
  • Baking Soda (1 Cup)
  • Cornstarch  (1/2 Cup)
  • Water (1/3 to 1/2 Cup)
  • Spoon 


Copyright 2014 Marcia Norwood

 Directions:

1.  Gather Supplies.

2.  Line Muffin Tin with Paper Cup Liners.

3.  Add 1 Cup Baking Soda and 1/2 Cup Corn Starch into Measuring Cup.  Mix together and Set Aside.

4.  Add 1/3 to 1/2 Cup Water in pan on stove. (Add just enough water to melt the Vicks ointment.)

5.  Add 2 - 3 Teaspoons Vicks or any brand Vaporizing Ointment to the water, and cook until the ointment melts.  

(I made the mistake of sniffing the mixture, and put my nose way too close to the water as it came to a rolling boil.  It definitely cleared my sinuses.)






6.  Add Baking Soda and Corn Starch Mixture into water with melted ointment, and MIX into a thick paste.  ONLY add a little more water if needed.  

(I panicked when the paste looked too thick and added way too much water.)

7.   Fill each paper-lined Muffin Cup about half-way with mixture.

(This was really messy, and I got stuff everywhere outside the paper cups: on the counter, the floor, my shirt, and my pants.  A friend who attempted to make this dumped the entire mixture on his pants.  He said he will just put his pants in the shower for the same vaporizing effect.)

Copyright 2014 Marcia Norwood

8.  Let dry OVERNIGHT.   

(My mixture made 10 discs/pucks.  There might have been more if I hadn't spilled so much.)

Copyright 2014 Marcia Norwood

DIY Vicks Shower Pucks (Facebook Photo)
9.  Remove from paper cups when discs/pucks are hard.  (Mine never got as hard as the ones in the original posted photo.)



10.  Store in an Airtight Container.

11.  Put discs/pucks in the bottom of your bath or shower (under the running water),and let them melt away in the hot water.

12.  Remember:  They are NOT edible.   Keep away from children or adults who eat things before they know what it is!

 

My Messy Discs/Pucks.  Copyright 2014 Marcia Norwood

My homemade Vaporizing Bath/Shower Pucks don't look much like the original photo - because I added too much water.

We tried them out in the shower and the bath. 

My daughter, Faith, added one to the bottom of the shower, but didn't put it under the water.  It only melted a little bit.  

I held a puck under the running water in my bath, and it melted easily.  It gave a wonderful Eucalyptus and Menthol fragrance to the bath.

I will definitely make more of these, with the HOPE that the next batch will look better.  

They are worth the mess!

I'm getting off now to take a luxurious hot bath.  I'll add one Vaporizing Puck plus my Homemade Bath Salts to the water!  

(Check out other homemade projects on my blog using the SEARCH box at the top right hand of the blog.)

My Recipe for Homemade Bath Salts
CLICK on the link or COPY & PASTE the link in your browser:
http://tellmeastory-marcia.blogspot.com/2013/10/homemade-bath-salts.html

Let me know when you make any of my recipes or projects.

Please share your helpful hints! 

Copyright 2014 Marcia Norwood

Thanks for stopping by!

Come back often, and invite a friend!

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER

Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking

No comments:

Post a Comment