TELL ME A STORY

TELL ME A STORY
"Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation." Joel 1:3

Friday, December 4, 2015

SALTY AND SWEET HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS TREATS

Mary Marcia
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking 

http://tellmeastory-marcia.blogspot.com/

Merry Christmas!


Here are some salty and sweet treats I'm making
to give away for Christmas


  
Candy Cane Suckers
 

These sweet treats are made with candy canes
and colored chocolate melts.

I made one beautiful candy cane sucker,
and then discovered every other mini-candy cane 
in the package (from Big Lots) was broken.

Grrrr!

So - I got out the mini-muffin tins,
and poured the rest of the pink candy melt in the tins.

Both are sweet!



Supplies:
Mini-UNBROKEN-Candy Canes
Candy Wafers (Melts)
Lollipop Stocks
Peppermint Crunch 
Parchment Paper
Cookie Sheet or Tray



 Melt candy wafers according to directions on package.

I melt them in the microwave anywhere from 1 minute to 
1 minute and 30 seconds.

Heart-Shaped Suckers

Add a lollipop stick and candy canes (in the shape of a heart) 
 on parchment paper.




Spoon in - or use a decorating bag to pipe in
melted chocolate between the candy canes. 


Sprinkle  peppermint crunch on melted candy.

Put in the refrigerator until set. 

This doesn't take long - just a few minutes.


 
I placed those broken candy canes
inside ungreased mini-muffin tins,
and then added melted wafers and lollipop sticks. 










Place in refrigerator until candy hardens.

They come out of the muffin tins very easily. 



 Candy Melts come in different colors and flavors!

I get them at Hobby Lobby and Michaels for about $3 a bag.

I buy extra when they are on sale.




I tried again with a new box of candy canes from Hy-Vee.

They are just about the sweetest Christmas treat,
and would make pretty Valentine treats as well. 

I wrapped each one individually in a bag,
and added a twist tie.



The second batch went well when I added a drop of
melted chocolate first, and then added the
lollipop stick and the candy canes. 
 
This prevents the stick from showing through 
on the back of the sucker.


Don't worry if they get messy.

You can break off the extra chocolate after
they harden in the refrigerator.







 Wrap each candy cane sucker in a little bag,
and add a twist tie.




I found cute little boxes - just perfect for sweet candy treats!




Candy Melt Ornaments!

 Mary Jane Farms magazine had a terrific idea
on creating candy ornaments with candy melts
and mini-cookie cutters.

They used magnets, but I don't like magnets
to be anywhere near candy for children or adults.

I decided to use baker's twine instead of magnets.




Hobby Lobby had the cookie cutters on sale 
for 50% off the original price of $5.99.


Tie baker's twine twice:
near the top of the ornament,
and then tie another knot at the top of the string.

This helps to keep the string in place
when you fill the cookie cutter with candy melts. 







It's much easier to purchase a bag
in the candy department
to melt the candy in.

Don't melt candy in regular sandwich bags.



Snip off the bottom tip of the bag
and pipe into the small cookie cutters.

I twisted one end of the bag, 
and used a clothes pin to keep the candy from
coming out the top.

Take the clothes pin OFF - if you need to
re-heat the candy in the microwave. 
     

 The colored, plastic  cookie cutters 
I found at Big Lots are adorable!



 I get melted candy all over my fingers,
but it helps sometimes to hold down the cookie cutters,
or have a friend hold it down
while you spoon in, or pipe in the candy melts.



 






RED Cookie Cutters and RED Candy Melts!




PURPLE Cookie Cutters and PURPLE Candy Melts!


If you want the peppermint crushed candy
to show through on the "front" side,
sprinkle the crushed peppermint 
inside the cookie cutter first,
and then add the melted candy.
 




 I did not wrap each candy cookie cutter individually.

I put several together in a box.






I also placed several on the Christmas tree!

















Have fun making these homemade, sweet treats!


MORE SWEET TREATS

I found gourmet suckers at Pottery Barn,
and ordered CUTE snowman covers for them
online at Oriental Trading.  





The adults at my house liked the Snowman Huggers
so well that I had to place another order
with Oriental Trading, so I had enough
for the children and adults! 


CLICK on the link or COPY & PASTE the link in your browser:
http://www.orientaltrading.com/snowmen-a1-90000+1323-8-1.fltr?categoryFromSearch=true&rd=snow





Snowman Candy Cane Covers!


 I also purchased Tootsie Roll POPS,
in honor of my daddy, Jewell Bush,
who always handed out  Tootsie Roll POPS
to  the kids of all ages.














 SALTY   TREATS!

Remember those adorable snowmen
I told you about on a previous blog?


CLICK on the link or COPY & PASTE the link in your browser:

They are made from upcycled Country Time
Half and Half (Lemonade and Tea).

I filled them with two different mixes.

One mix for younger children:
Cheerios, Animal Crackers and Whales.

The other mix 
is for older children and adults: 
Mixed Nuts, Chex Mix, M & M Peanuts,
Sunflower Seeds, and Pretzels.









HOMEMADE TRAIL MIX
 Mixed Nuts, Chex Mix, M & M Peanuts,
Sunflower Seeds, and Pretzels




Trail Mix is delicious,
and looks great packaged in decorative snowman jars!


Can you guess my theme this Christmas?

Snowmen! 







The table near our entry is filled with
sweet and salty treats!


I feel like Mrs. Santa!


 Christmas 
- for me - 
is creating
lots and lots 
of homemade projects,
to give  away 
in Jesus' Name.


We celebrate the birth of our savior,

Emmanuel,
GOD WITH US.


Happy Birthday, Jesus!














Merry Christmas!

Happy New Year!


Here are my
2014 Christmas wishes 
to you!








Thanks for stopping by!

Come back often,
and invite a friend!

Mary Marcia
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking 




No comments:

Post a Comment