TELL ME A STORY

TELL ME A STORY
"Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation." Joel 1:3

Monday, November 25, 2013

2013 JOURNEY TO CHRISTMAS: LETTER TO SANTA

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking

2013 JOURNEY TO CHRISTMAS
LETTER TO SANTA  

Did you write a Letter to Santa?
Do your children write letters to Santa?

Here's a letter my daughter, Faith, 
wrote to Santa in 2011.
  

Marcia's Daughter:  Faith Fu Ju.  Copyright 2011 Marcia Norwood



Letter to Santa

Christmas 2011


Dear Santa,



Do you remember the Christmas of 1944?  

That year a teacher named Donald Yetter Gardner wrote the silly song:   “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth,” after he asked his 2nd grade class what they wanted for Christmas. 

Almost all of his students answered him with a lisp, because they had at least one tooth missing.  (My mom, Marcia Norwood, sang the song when she was a kid in the 1950’s.)
  

I lived in China in an orphanage until I was eight years old.  We never celebrated Christmas.  I heard the song for the first time in 2002 - my first Christmas in America - when you, Santa, put a little toy mouse in my stocking that was missing one tooth.   When I pushed on his tummy he sang:  “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth!” 

 
Fu Ju at the Orphanage, Liaoning Province, China.  Copyright 2002 Marcia Norwood


I asked for more than just my two front teeth my first Christmas. I hoped and dreamed and prayed for a pretty smile.   Most of my teeth were in the wrong places because I was born with a cleft lip and palate.   It must have been too much for my Chinese birth parents to handle, because I was found at a train station in Benxi City, Liaoning Province, when I was two days old.  

Someone took me to an orphanage in northern China, and gave me the name:  Fu Ju…which means blessing or great reward after much hard work.  

My Forever Family adopted me in October 2002. My American parents kept my Chinese name as my middle name, and also gave me a new American name:  Faith.  My mom says both names fit me perfectly.  
 



Shriners Hospital Chicago.  Copyright 2007 M. Norwood
My wish for a pretty smile is almost complete.  I had two surgeries in China, more surgeries at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, and multiple surgeries at the Shriners Hospital in Chicago.   

The Shriners even helped pay for my braces. 



 
Faith Fu Ju.  Shriners Hospital Chicago.  Copyright 2007 Marcia Norwood

 
This Christmas 2011 – I’m not asking for something for me.

Faith Fu Ju.  Shriners Hospital Chicago.  Copyright 2007 Marcia Norwood
I’m asking you to bring a new mini-van to the Shriners at Ararat Shrine Center in Kansas City, Missouri.  You can drive it right up to their door at 5100 Ararat Drive, Kansas City, Missouri, 64129. 



Shriners help many children like me, regardless of their ability to pay, and whether they have insurance or not.    They also provide free transportation to children and their families to Shriners Hospitals in the USA.   

We've made friends with staff at Shriners Hospital Chicago over the years Faith has received treatments and surgeries there.  Copyright 2009 Marcia Norwood
 

The Kansas City Center has about 40 Shriners screened to be drivers.  They alternate driving one van that was donated by the Warsaw, Missouri Shrine Club.  The Warsaw Shriners saved the proceeds from Bingo games to purchase the van for the Kansas City Center.  That van is 11 months old and already has 68,000 miles.  It makes four or five trips each week to Shriners hospitals in Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis.  Sometimes the trips overlap, and they have to rent another van.



 Santa, I know you have lots of helpers.  Maybe one of them could donate a mini-van…or maybe 25 of your helpers could give $1,000 each…or 50 helpers could donate $500… or 100 helpers could donate $250…or 250 helpers could give $100.    Just think how many children and families your donation will help!


Faith, Sarah and Megan.  Copyright 2008 Marcia Norwood
I’ve waited for 17 years to have a pretty smile

Some people stop and stare at me – just like in the lyrics to the song:  “Everybody stops and stares at me…These two teeth are gone as you can see…”   

My next procedure is a facial reconstruction/jaw realignment surgery  at the Shriners Hospital Chicago.   


Shriners helped pay for Faith's braces.  Copyright 2012 Marcia Norwood

SHRINERS HOSPITALS FOR CHILDREN
CHANGING THE WORLD.
CARING FOR KIDS. 
CLICK on the link or COPY & PASTE the link in your browser:
http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/ 


Faith at Dykhouse Orthodontics.    Copyright 2012 Marcia Norwood

 I hope that your helpers, Santa, will give the Shriners a Christmas present they will never forget:  a new mini-van, so they can help other kids like me. 



Merry Christmas!

Faith Fu Ju Norwood, 17 years old





 SONG:   
All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
CLICK on the link or COPY & PASTE the link in your browser:
http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=all+i+want+for+christmas+is+my+two+front+teeth+song 

 Lyrics

“All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth”
 By Donald Yetter Gardner 


Everybody stops
And stares at me
These two teeth are
Gone as you can see.


I don't know just who
To blame for this catastrophe!
But my one wish on Christmas Eve
Is as plain as it can be!

All I want for Christmas
Is my two front teeth,
My two front teeth,
See my two front teeth!

Gee, if I could only
Have my two front teeth,
Then I could wish you
"Merry Christmas."
It seems so long since I could say,
"Sister Susie sitting on a thistle!"

Gosh oh gee, how happy I'd be,
If I could only whistle (thhhh)

All I want for Christmas
Is my two front teeth,
My two front teeth,
See my two front teeth.

Gee, if I could only
Have my two front teeth,
Then I could wish you
"Merry Christmas!"



Thanks for stopping by!

Come back often, and invite a friend!

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking

CHICAGO Skyline.  Faith and Marcia.  Copyright 2011 Marcia Norwood

Faith and Marcia.  Copyright 2011 Marcia Norwood

CHINATOWN CHICAGO.  Faith and Marcia.  Copyright 2011 Marcia Norwood
 


No comments:

Post a Comment