TELL ME A STORY

TELL ME A STORY
"Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation." Joel 1:3

Friday, January 27, 2017

WISDOM: 17TH CENTURY PRAYER

Mary Marcia
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking



Link:
 http://tellmeastory-marcia.blogspot.com/2017/01/wisdom-17th-century-prayer.html

Click on  image to enlarge. 

I found this 17th Century Prayer  two decades ago, when I was working as a Community Life Director at a retirement community for senior citizens.  
 
Mary Marcia, 1997
I hoped the humor and wisdom in this prayer would help residents who had become  sour in their old age.

I asked GOD to remind me when I got older - to heed the advice in this centuries old prayer.  

The title of the prayer is traditional.  

The author is unknown.

Here's the prayer I'm praying for myself today.

Who else will pray through it with me?

Click on  image to enlarge. 




17th CENTURY PRAYER




LORD

Thou knowest better than I know myself

that I am growing older, 
and will some day be old.

Keep me from the fatal habit 
of thinking I must say something
on every subject and on every occasion.

Release me from craving 
to straighten out everybody’s affairs.

Make me thoughtful, but not moody…
helpful, but not bossy.

With my vast store of wisdom, 
it seems a pity not to use it all,
but Thou knowest, LORD
that I want a few friends at the end.

Keep my mind free 
from the recital of endless details.

Give me wings to get to the point.

Seal my lips on my aches and pains.

They are increasing, 
and love of rehearsing them
is becoming sweeter as the years go by.

I dare not ask for grace enough 
to enjoy the tales of others’ pains,
but help me to endure them with patience.

I dare not ask for improved memory,
but for a growing humility, 
and a lessening cocksureness
when my memory seems to clash 
with the memories of others.

Teach me the glorious lesson 
that occasionally, I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet.

I do not want to be a saint…
some of them are too hard to live with.

But a sour, old person 
is one of the crowning works of the devil.

Give me the ability 
to see good things in unexpected places,
and talents in unexpected people.

And give me, O LORD
the grace to tell them so.

Amen



Thanks for stopping by.



Come back often, and invite a friend.
 

Mary Marcia
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment