TELL ME A STORY

TELL ME A STORY
"Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation." Joel 1:3

Thursday, September 4, 2014

HALL CHINA: JEWELL TEA - AUTUMN LEAF PATTERN

Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking

 http://tellmeastory-marcia.blogspot.com/

My Granny Lucille owned and operated the Highway Barbeque in Liberty, Missouri, in the 1950's and 60's.  Each time Granny ordered Jewell Tea she was given premium (free) dishes in the Autumn Leaf pattern.

Granny let me play with the premium dishes when I was a little girl.  I had many tea parties with my sister, Gloria, and cousin, Tandra.   I worked at the Highway Barbeque, in the summers when I was a teenager, and washed tons of Autumn Leaf pattern dishes, and served many meals on the dishes with the art-deco-like design.   


Granny's extensive collection of Autumn Leaf dishes was sold when she closed her restaurant, except for one small milk pitcher.

She gave that milk pitcher to me, and I treasured it.






http://www.nalcc.org/hallChinaCompany.php
I n 1933, Hall China Company made its first autumnal decorated bowl for the Jewel Tea Company to be used as a premium. During the early 1930s, Hall was turning out teapots, coffee pots, custards, ramekins, casseroles, shirred egg dishes, coffee urn linings, pot pie dishes, steam table pots, and bain marie jars, among other items. Management had such high confidence in the ware that a two-year guarantee was offered with every piece.



The Hall/Jewel Breakfast set was produced in 1936. This was the first dinnerware made by the Hall China Company since its brief encounter in the years 1908–1914.

The Autumn Leaf pattern that was made for the Jewel Home Shopping Service was produced until the pattern was discontinued in the late 1970’s. In 1981, the Jewel Home Shopping Service was phased out of business.

In 1985, Hall re-introduced some of its old kitchenware and teapot shapes for the retail trade.
Today, the Autumn Leaf pattern is no longer available through the Hall China Company, except for commissioned pieces for the National Autumn Leaf Collectors Club®.

National Autumn Leaf Collectors Club®
CLICK on the link or COPY & PASTE the link in your browser: 
http://www.nalcc.org/hallChinaCompany.php


Jewel Tea/Autumn Leaf Pattern Collection on the hutch I refurbished in my 1994 kitchen.  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood.
I started my own collection of Autumn Leaf pattern dishes and accessories in 1970.  I searched estate sales and antique stores throughout the USA, and  amassed a collection that included service for 12:  plates, cups and saucers, plus multiple shaped pitchers, large and small bowls,  multiple sets of salt and pepper shakers, and even a rare tablecloth.   I found tin canisters, cake carriers, and trivets in Texas. 
   

Do you see the folded table cloth hanging on the side of the hutch?  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood.
 
It was a JOY to use my Autumn Leaf pattern dishes for tea parties...like the Sugar and Spice Tea Party I hosted on February 20, 1994. 
Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood


 CLICK Image to ENLARGE.  Tea Party Invitation Insert and Sis-in-Law Lisa's vintage outfit for tea party.  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood.
 
Personalized Napkin from Sugar & Spice Tea Party.  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood.
 
My Friend Cheryl and Her Daughter Danielle, and view of cows outside my kitchen window.  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood.

Tea Party:  My Mom (Natalie) and Sis-in-Law (Lisa) with her daughter (Lacey).  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood.

I wrote quotes about tea on the white board in my kitchen.  Guests are always welcome to add comments!  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood

Tea Party:  Daughters of my Friends!  Precious Little Girls!  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood
 
Tea Party:  Friends, Jana and Dona and Their Daughters!  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood
 
Tea Party:  Before and After 

Center Island - Before and After Tea Party.  Copyright 1994 Marcia Norwood.

 If you asked me to name my most prized possession, I would - without hesitation - have said it was Granny's milk pitcher. 
  
     
Granny's Autumn Leaf Milk Pitcher.  Copyright 2014 Marcia Norwood
  


Granny's Autumn Leaf Milk Pitcher.  Copyright 2014 Marcia Norwood
 
Our family experienced financial devastation in 2003.    We sold our condo at the lake, sold all the rental properties we owned, and ultimately lost our main house and 11 acres.  We sold some of our possessions just to get by.  

I sold my entire collection of Autumn Leaf  including Granny's milk pitcher in 2003, for a small price - but the sale paid for some groceries.  I never mentioned the sale of the dishes to my friends - except to one.    His mother had the Autumn Leaf dishes as well when he was a child.  We agreed that the dishes may have contained lead paint, and it might be a blessing that we weren't eating off of those dishes anymore.

My friend (without my knowledge) traced the sale of my dishes, and found Granny's milk pitcher in Florida.  He paid much more than it was worth; flew to Florida to retrieve it; and returned it to me for my birthday in 2014.   

What a surprise!  I never expected to see it again.



God has taught me to hold material things loosely, because they come and go.

I treasure Granny's milk pitcher even more now, but I value 
the friend whose act of love and kindness brought it back to me above all.

  



Thanks for stopping by!

Come back often, and invite a friend!
 
Copyright 2014 Marcia Norwood
Marcia Norwood
America's STORYTELLER
Telling Untold Stories in Photographs, Prose and Public Speaking

 http://tellmeastory-marcia.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. I just read this and am touched with your sweet storytelling. I have many Jewel Tea dishes and was researching how people got them originally. I didn't know if they were free after so many purchases or if they had to purchase them outright. I am glad to know that they saved coupons until they could redeem. I hope you are well Marcia Norwood. God bless you.
    Kathy Howell

    ReplyDelete